Thursday 23 June 2016

Day 19 - Homemade Chips and Crisps

Day 19

So I'm regretting  not buying some of those frozen chips from the farm shop, as I have no chips that I can just throw in the oven and I sometimes like to put them in the oven and just relax without worrying about cooking. However pretty much all chips come wrapped in plastic. Yes, even microwavable oven chips as event though they are in a box, they are then wrapped in plastic after. I've done a small search but haven't found any alternative, apart from the farm shop which is a tad far to drive 40 minutes for chips! So in my lacking of chips I've decided to make my own, and I've done it before but It can be a bit annoying, especially if you like smaller fries like me, which takes more cutting. I love my fries skin on so I just cut up a potato into thin pieces, coated with oil and put in  the oven. It took about 30 minutes but they came out great. I've decided to try and do my own frozen ones by doing this and then freezing them, so all they'll need is to be warmed up and Crisped up when I need them. Hopefully that'll work! I also looove sweet potato fries, so I'm going to make a box  of them for the freezer =). I recommend trying  it if you haven't. But making from scratch when you're hungry is a bit long I have to admit.




Crisps. Now that's something i'm very much missing right now. I've stolen the odd crisp from my partner when he's bought some, and I think that one will be pretty hard for me to give up. I am more of a savoury person, so instead of reaching for cake, i'd go for crisps every time. Annoyingly most crisps seem to come protected in plastic. I did know one company called Boxer Chips that I used to sell in a previous job, which were great but the boxes were covered again in plastic. It's a shame because their idea was good - the crisps were in the box, the box would unfold into a small bowl and you could eat them like that, and if inclined, share with friends. I have been told about a company called Brown Bag Crisps, and from their website it does seem like the packaging is just paper, but i'm going to email the company to find out whether this is actually the case, and if it is, how I can get my hands on them. I'm pretty excited about that actually. So fingers crossed. I'm also aiming to make my own potato crisps and vegetable crisps soon, and i've been informed you can do them in the microwave! So that'll be an interesting experiment :). The next time you reach for a bag of crisps in the shop, think of me lol. I like ready salted baked crisps, pickled onion monster munch, skips, discos, sunbites... the list is endless.

Anyhow, until tomorrow!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment