Wednesday 15 June 2016

Day 11 - The Madness Continues and Sneaky Tiger Bread Plastic

Day 11

So yesterday I messaged Waitrose, to get their take on the whole taking meat/fish away in your own containers thing. The response I received stated that due to health and safety they couldn't allow the person to take my container over the counter due to fears of it contaminating something else, and also the meat is weighed in plastic to health and safety reasons too. It does seem odd to me that a farm shop and a butchers would allow the sell of meat without plastic and have no qualms with this, but it's not for me to judge. Although I still don't see why they can't go back to using butcher paper or something of the like instead of using plastic. My post to Waitrose has caused a few people to reply, and one person stating that I should should just accept that it's not going to change. To which I replied that if everyone accepted everything that was wrong in the world then we would never change anything for the better. I said I would continue to use the butchers, fish mongers as long as they accept to put it in my containers. Sometimes the small changes you make can make a difference if enough people with the same values choose the same path. Anyhow, enough on that for now but i'm sure this is a to be continued subject!

I needed some bread after work today, so I asked my other half if he would be able to stop by Greggs (a bakers) to pick up a loaf of bread (not in plastic of course) however when he called me he said that even there everything seemed to be in plastic. So as I was hungry and needed bread for dinner I headed to Tescos as it was close, hoping they did something not wrapped in plastic. Being an express shop i was pleased to see they had a small baked section, with loose rolls and things. I then spotted some tiger bread wrapped in paper, so i picked this up in a rush and then paid at the till. It wasn't until I got it home I actually realised it had a small thin panel of clear plastic on the other side to showcase their product, which I must have missed in my rush to get home to eat. It's annoying as well because there were no paper bags supplied for the other breads/ rolls, just the plastic, which is why I went for the tiger loaf. I will definitely check better next time - it's very annoying actually. There is a Lidl around the corner from me and they have a new baked section, so i'm sure if i take my own paper bag I could go get something from there easily and probably cheaply too.

So i've been doing a lot of coursework this afternoon, so my partner got to work on making some yummy cheese biscuits. They came out good, but the amount of cheese recommended in the recipe was no where near enough the amount that should have been put in, however I am a bit of a cheese fiend so that might be why! They are nice and are going to serve as a bit of a snack in the next few days - yaay!

The guinea pigs are now gone - actually they've been gone a few days now but I forgot to mention it, so no more worrying about their diet! Although I do have 4 rats which do require a pellet form of food, so i'm going to have to look up alternatives for that - if any. Luckily their substrate for the cage I use is called Catolet which is actually a recycled paper based cat litter which comes in a paper bag too, so I don't have to worry about anything there.

Anyhow I thought I'd leave you today on a picture of one of my Moon Jellies at work, which is pretty awesome as it has 6 stomachs instead of the usual 4 - very pretty!




Until tomorrow!

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment