Tuesday 14 June 2016

Day 10 - Stale Bread and Snack Cravings

Day 10

Doing this has already made me realise what we a lot of the time take for granted, and it's things such as the longevity after purchase of the food we get from supermarkets. What made me think of this? Well it's been 2 days since I purchased the multi-seed bread from the farm shop, and I have had to make sure we used it up quickly because by the end of the first day it was starting to get pretty tough! Today I had some for my lunch at work and thought the rest would last until tomorrows lunch, however when i got to the bread this afternoon it was so tough I had to microwave it slightly just to make it edible - and I was hungry too, so I needed it to be edible. It makes me think how great it is to have bread that doesn't go out of date that quick, but then think well that means it must have a lot of preservatives in it to keep it that way. So then what are we putting in our bodies? It's interesting to me because I remember reading something online a while back about places in south america that have found that bodies that have been buried in the last couple of decades do not seem to be decomposing at the rate that the body should decompose at. They theorized that it could be due to the sheer amount of preservatives that are in foods nowadays, which seems to have had an effect on the peoples bodies over time. Whether this is true/ been studied or not, i'm not sure - i will aim to look up about this more but i'm pretty tired tonight, so i'm keeping this one short tonight - apologies!

So, another major inconvenience to me at the moment is snacking. I ordinarily eat a lot of crisps (not an unhealthy amount, but maybe a pack every few days, and recently decided to get a liking for TUC biscuits. I forgot how amazing TUC biscuits were as a kid, so decided to start eating them again recently, which i realise now was a mistake because they are pretty addictive to me now. It's annoying because everything i seem to like/ become accustomed to are things that have a barrier of bloody plastic in the way of me and them. I believe I had a vague dream about driving to find the TUC biscuit factory last night to ask them if they would fill up all of the containers I had with the biscuits so I could gorge myself on them for the next few weeks!  How insane is that?! I'm actually seriously craving biscuits and crisps. Another one for me which I do sometimes buy, is a small premade birthday cake from Tescos. It sounds weird, and I know it's not my birthday, but I love that particular birthday cake, it just tastes good. Unfortunately one little plastic window on the box stands between me and it right now. And it's annoying because I don't get them regularly and I don't tend to eat cake, but right now i'd eat about 10. I'm craving snacks, convenience food and just food I don't have to plan ahead with.

I'll leave you with a photo of the last TUC biscuit I had before I started this whole thing. I wish I had savoured it more!

Until tomorrow!

Thanks for reading :). Goodnight zzzzzzzzz




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time to combat cravings. Few notes- When you are feeling peckish you are often actually thirsty. When you crave sugar you are either generically hungry or craving protein. There's a few weird things like this. Can't remember what else.

    If you make that cracker recipe and want them more like TUC then add a tablespoon of sugar, an extra bit of salt and double the fat. You can use any oil for this, doesn't have to be olive. Oil the baking sheet well, put plenty of forks holes in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great time to combat cravings. Few notes- When you are feeling peckish you are often actually thirsty. When you crave sugar you are either generically hungry or craving protein. There's a few weird things like this. Can't remember what else.

    If you make that cracker recipe and want them more like TUC then add a tablespoon of sugar, an extra bit of salt and double the fat. You can use any oil for this, doesn't have to be olive. Oil the baking sheet well, put plenty of forks holes in.

    ReplyDelete