Wednesday 22 June 2016

Day 17 - Vegetable bags and Natracare Tampons

Day 17

So I discovered a bit of a flaw in using paper bags to collect my fruit and vegetables from shops. One, if the veg is chilled and has moisture on it, then the bag would rip easily and i'd be left with a mess at the till; and Two, the paper bags I bought weren't overly large, so I couldn't fit a huge amount in - and heavy things like loose potatoes rip straight through. So I decided to try some cloth bags, but to try to avoid places saying that i'm stealing, I decided I would order some net washing machine bags which are see through, well ventilated, large, durable, washable and have zipped tops so it's easier to move the bags around without a disaster at the check out and the person looking at me like i'm an absolute loon. So i've ordered 3 standard bags, of varying sizes, and also 3 "bra bags" which are smaller little round mesh bags, maybe more suited to small fruits/ tomatoes etc. They are light weight as well, so if they need to weigh them at the till, it would be easy to weigh them in the bags too. So hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow and then I can put them to the test some time soon! I also found these things called origami bags which are cloth sewn with two longer pieces up the sides and created into a pouch. You can fill the pouch and then tie the top up when you're done. They look cool, so i might see if I can make some to try out (as i'm not spending like £5-£7 on a piece of cloth!). Either of these would negate the need for me to use the plastic flimsy bags the supermarkets supply you with in the shop which usually are thrown away relatively shortly to getting home by most people.




I received a tweet response recently from the brand Natracare, basically saying that they'd like to explain the deal with their tampons being wrapped in plastic. They messaged me explaining that because the tampons I bought are without applicator (i purchased these accidentally, which i'm not too happy about) means they have stricter hygiene laws on keeping them bacteria free and safe for the user. They could not be wrapped in wax/paper because if it ripped, it would directly compromise the tampon itself. Whereas their applicator based tampons come wrapped in wax paper, and are much more environmentally friendly, which I can say I will make sure i purchase the right ones in future! They said the plastic used is BPA free (meaning it won't leach any bad chemicals into the tampon) and is "recyclable" - however I have looked into my local recycling and it seems much more difficult to be able to recycle this type of plastic than it does other forms of plastic. I will go over recycling symbols in one of my next blogs because it's interesting how many things can actually be recycled, but obviously not all is accepted in our kerbside waste - therefore mostly doesn't get recycled as most people don't know what to do with certain products. So i would like to thank Natracare for being very prompt and professional in their responses to me.

Anyhow, until tomorrow!

Thanks for reading! (apologies for the delayed blog!) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment