Saturday 18 June 2016

Day 13 - Travel Food Problems and Metal Straws

 Day 13 

So today was the first time i've had to travel, without the convenience of my car, so i was not as prepared as I feel I could have been (as there was a lot to carry). My journey time was roughly 4 hours, which fell slap bang in the middle of lunch time, which I didn't think about before I left. So when I arrived at Kings Cross station, with a 3 hour train ride ahead, I realised that I would need some food/drink for lunch. So II started searching around for some plastic free food that I could buy. It wasn't easy but after looking around I found a sandwich shop (Benugo) that sold these lovely looking baguettes, however I did notice they were putting them in plastic wrap, but I could see they also had paper wrap for their pastries, so I asked if I could have it in the paper instead. At first the woman didn't understand and went to put it in the plastic and so I kind of said no no no no just paper please and she realised what I wanted. So then I realised i'd need a drink/ snack too, so I bought a can of coke for the caffeine and a oat cookie from Pret. So we then boarded the train and got settled in for the journey ahead. During the journey, a snacks cart came through offering tea/coffee, and I couldn't resist having a tea (i'm a bit of an addict with tea). I unfortunately haven't bought a travel tea mug yet, so they gave it to me in the cardboard cup and I told the girl I did not want the plastic top to the tea as I didn't want it and wouldn't use it anyway. She put the lid on anyway, to my disgust and said "I have to give you the lid" which was a ridiculous statement! So unhappily I paid for it, and set my sights on buying a travel mug to prevent this happening again. It seems like it would be very difficult to be able to get something to eat on the go at trains stations. I was lucky it was a big station like Kings Cross as there was more selection, but other stations I may not have been as lucky. So I looked up a travel mug and found one that appears to be made of bamboo, stainless steel and a rubber seal, so I may be buying this to use.


 So knowing i'd be going out drinking this weekend I decided to buy some reusable straws to use instead of the plastic straws. Unfortunately when I ordered them they came wrapped in 2 layers of plastic. They come with their own pipe cleaner and they seem to be quite alright to use. Although when drunk and you try to bite the straw forgetting it's metal kinda isn't recommended! But they are great. So I will be testing them tonight out and about, so I'll see how easy that is to navigate (I may loose one).

Anyhow, I'll see how today goes!

Until tomorrow.

Thanks for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment