Saturday 2 July 2016

Day 25 - Lush Visit and Market Stall Food

Day 25

One of things I've found difficult to find at the moment is a good alternative to my face moisturiser. I usually use the Nivea Soft moisturiser which seems to be the only one that doesn't upset my sensitive skin, and I figured i'd find it hard to find any moisturiser not contained within plastic. Where this is true, as I have recently discovered the amazing thing that Lush recycle their pots when you take them back to the shop, it meant I could actually get some from Lush and know i'm not going to be impacting anything since it would be then reused for future Lush pots. So I had a half day at work and set off to the Oxford Circus shop in central London. Luckily this shop is 3 floors worth of amazing Lush goodness and there was a lot of choice for everything. There were also a mass of staff, all friendly and all on hand to help you with choosing the right products for your needs and your skin type. I went straight for looking at the moisturisers and was almost instantly asked if I needed help by one of the shop assistants. I explained to her what I wanted, and so she asked me to take a seat at a table, which had a chair either side and a big bowl of water in the middle. After a couple of minutes she returned with a few facial cleansers, rose water and a variety of moisturisers. She took my hands, washed one at a time, cleansed them, and then moisturised them for me. It was really quite nice as it was like a light hand massage and then with the moisturisers on then felt all silky and smooth.  I explained to her that my face is way more sensitive than my hands and I would need to try them on my face before i buy them. She then said she'd put all the moisturisers we'd trialed into a few sample pots (which can be taken back for recycling) so i could try them at home and then make a decision based on how much i and my skin likes them. I was very happy with this because in the past i have bought things for my face which really haven't been right and i end up with a whole tub of product which is not suitable for my skin. After this I explained that the last deoderant bar I bought from them was too rough and irritable for my skin, so she recommended this smooth deoderant bar and gave me a rather generous sample of that to take home too. I said thank you and carried on looking around the shop and then started talking to a guy about the toothpaste options they have. I have tried one of the toothpaste tablets and one of their toothpaste powders already but wanted to try some other options. They had 2 more tooth powders available, one I refused because it was peppery and I'm really not keen on pepper, and the other one was mixed with mint and wasabi (which i declined straight away as I also don't like wasabi). However the guy explained to me that he also does not like wasabi, but he assured me it was nice, so he gave me a sample of this and 2 of the toothpaste tablets to try at home. I was also looking for a decent alternative to shower gel (but i didn't want to buy the bottles, i was looking for something in the pots that Lush recycle or in bar form). I have used a sugar scrub before from there, however it was a bit rough for my skin, and a bit itchy after. Lush also do jellies which are shower gel in a jelly ball, which you rub on your skin the shower and it lathers up. It sounds cool, but I couldn't find one with a scent that I could get along with, and they left my skin feeling a bit squeaky and not very moisturised so I decided to keep looking. They do roulade bars and scrubs, but I feel I need to go back and get a trial of a couple of those, because i wasn't keen on the smells of those either, but i'll try them and see if they work. So i walked out of Lush with a lot of exciting samples to try and I can say now that I am completely sold on the UltraBlast Tooth Powder (The wasabi one!) and it's so refreshing for my mouth and not spicy one bit! I am also sold on their Aqua Marina face cleanser which has a clay feel and contains seaweed too, it made my skin feel nice. The moisturisers i'm still trialing. My favourites so far are the Celestial and the Vanishing Cream, but I still have three more to true (though 2 of them are rather bloody expensive, so  I won't buy those because I cannot afford that amount on a moisturiser). Overall though, i'm definitely sold on Lush and I recommend that if you care about animals or the environment, just look them up online and see for yourself.

For food on the go, i've been moving away from general shops/ supermarket stops, and whenever i'm around somewhere with some market food i'll tend to buy from these instead. I'm lucky that I work so close to Camden Town market, as there is a huge variety of market stalls with a nice variety of food from around the world. A lot of the stalls also supply their food in cardboard tubs, or paper wrap with wooden forks and generally if you scope out the stall before hand, you can see what they'll be packaging your food up in before you buy so you can make an informed choice. I had some lovely mac and cheese the other day just before I went to Lush which was well worth the slight detour to ensure my lunch would be plastic free. Sometimes you do have to go a little out of your way, but in my opinion it really wasn't much of an issue. And it was nice to walk along the canal to get there too. The only downside was the tourists - SO MANY! But all in all, much better choice and selection than if I had gone to a supermarket.

Anyhow, until next time.

Thanks for reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment