Saturday 2 July 2016

Day 24 - Stale Bread and Crisp Trial

Day 24

Doing this challenge has led me to confront the issue of stale bread, which is something that rarely happens with shop bought bread such as hovis, warburtons etc because it seems to go mouldy instead of stale. Since i've been buying loaves of bakery bread, it's made me realise how long bread really should last when it's fresh and how many preservatives must be in the other bread you can buy. So recently, everytime I have bought a loaf of bread, it has lasted 3 days max before it ends up going hard around the edges and ridiculously tough and chewy. Now, I mentioned this to my parents and they said I should make good old bread and butter pudding (why did i not think of this sooner!). Bread and butter pudding is a traditional english pudding designed to use up stale bread, butter and any currents/ dried fruit left over. The basic idea of it is to slice up the stale bread, lay it in a oven dish with currents/sultanas/dried fruit inbetween the layers, cover with a mix of milk, cream and eggs beaten together with a little nutmeg and vanilla extract and then leave to soak for a couple of hours before cooking in the oven. This makes a lovely dessert that you can have with cream, custard or ice cream. Mmmmm. I recommend trying it and it does save that last bit of bread unused bread.

If anyone is interested, we swear by this recipe (though my dad would argue to triple the amount of fruit suggested).
https://www.cookipedia.co.uk/recipes_wiki/Mrs_Beeton's_bread_and_butter_pudding



I tried the microwave method of making my own crisps as suggested by a friend of mine. I followed the instructions, I cut the potatoes very thin, coated with oil and a little salt and put them on a plate in the microwave. It said to cook them for 3-5 minutes, however I did not find this worked all that well. After about 8 minutes of them being a little crisp, but still soggy, i decided to put them in the oven to finish them off. They turned out great but my words of wisdom is to watch them like a hawk! Otherwise you'll end up with some seriously black and inedible crisps. I tried this with both normal potato and sweet potato and they both worked out great. My mum can vouch for this, because I took them with me in a container to the hospital to see my mum and she loved them so much that she ended up eating the entire box in like 5 minutes.  Compliments to the chef indeed. Sooo I'm guna have to make more. But glad they were enjoyed either way!

Anyhow until next time.

Thanks for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment